This month I was formally introduced to Web 2.0 and all its glories. I finally figured out just what Web 2.0 meant and why there is a "2.0" craze. I get it. There is a saying that claims "Life is not a spectator sport." Most educators would agree that "Education is not a spectator sport." That sentiment is exactly what Web 2.0 supports. Don't sit and absorb; create and contribute. Although there seems to be a plethora of tools already developed, open source tools available for modifications, and new tools coming out frequently, I have not found many that were developed for math teachers. That is not to say that wikis and blogs couldn't be used, but I still feel that many of the tools don't provide resources for more effective pedagogy for math. Integration of many of the tools would feel more like trying to use technology for technology sake. I would love to see a sort of mashup of The National Library of Virtual Manipulatives (for interactive mathematics) with Skrbl (an interactive whiteboard) with iChat (text & audio capabilities at a minimum). Now that is a tool that I think could be powerful in a math classroom!
The video below contains my thoughts about the experience of blogging.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I felt the same way! I think it would have been a great idea for them to require that we read and comment on a certain number of other's blogs. I really felt alone out there also.
ReplyDelete